Monday, November 16, 2009

Hard Ride, Awesome Friends

So, this past weekend was difficult on the one hand, inspirational on the other. Saturday's ride was 60+ miles up Parmer to Andice. The turn off from Parmer to Andice I always hate, because of the rough chipseal road and all the vibrations that come with that part of the ride.

On the way back in (into the wind), I managed to flat the rear tire and had the usual fun of changing tires, combined with the fact that I grabbed the wrong size tube as a spare. By the time the wheel was fixed, and the guys had quit laughing at me, the wind had really picked up. By the time I made it back to Cool River, the legs were screaming at me. All in all, it WAS a good training ride.

Sunday brought the inspirational part of the weekend. I went to San Antonio to watch some of my TNT teammates, fellow football officials and a couple of ladies from work run the Rock n Roll Marathon. I took the bike so I could get around to different parts of the run without worrying about driving around closed roads, which turned out to be a very good decision. It is truly amazing to see the commitment and perseverance of so many runners. Some of my friends finished early and some late, some ran only the half-marathon. Even as a spectator, you feel the rush as those in your life run past you as you cheer them on. I applaud every one of the thousands of runners I watched that day. I particularly want to celebrate the effort of Kyle, who finished the full marathon 41st overall; Briana; Luis; Brandi; Stormy; Ethan; and Melonie.

With football season now over, I will be able to commit to the training plan for my first triathlon, the Rookie in May 2010, as well as riding with the team to prepare for the Triple Bypass ride in July. This is going to be a fun 9 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment