Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend, and then some!

"The most important things in life aren't things."

Busy 3-day weekend, with training wrapped around real life… Friday pm was a long run on the treadmill after work; Saturday was a 2-hour bike ride with more-of-the-usual Texas winds; Sunday was another 1-hour run outside, followed by a motorcycle trip to Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery in San Antonio to visit my dad’s grave, and ended up talking to a few military veterans also visiting their lost loved ones –hard to believe it has been almost 50 years since I lost my father; and Monday was a short run after 4 hours of kayaking the swim portion of the CapTex Tri. - truly an awesome experience to watch and support the challenged athletes taking part in the paratriathlete championships.

Next weekend, the June century ride is Saturday. I am riding the Atlas 4000 for the third year in a row. While the Atlas is actually only 70 miles, my plan is to ride to the start, which is about 20 miles or so from the house, and then finish whatever is left once we get to the winery - yes, we finish the ride at Pillar Bluff Vineyard!
Sunday, I am kayaking a race again, this time the Danskin women's triathlon - come to think of it, I will be doing this for the third consecutive time as well. Another opportunity to give back.

Training for IMAZ continues. Yesterday was a one-hour run in the heat followed by a swim at the pool. I hit a wall about 43 minutes into the run, and the heat got to me. I don't think I recovered from the run very much before the swim, so it got shortened to 1500 meters from the 2500 originally planned. Oh well, it is what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment