Wednesday, August 15, 2012

USA Triathlon Becoming Elitist?

Before I get on my soapbox, let me preface this with some points of clarification:
1. I am NOT attempting to become a coach;
2. I enjoy triathlon as a sport, and support the efforts to bring more people into the sport;
3. This is NOT a slam against the coaches. To date, most of the coaches and athletes I have had the privilege to meet are very helpful, generous with their support of us normal working-class age groupers.

Given that position - I recently found out that USA Triathlon is now going to "screen" the people wanting to sign up for a Level 1 Coaching Certification class. Note this clinic is the first step for anybody wanting to be recognized for their expertise and willingness to help others. The way it is structured, according to their USA Triathlon's FAQ page for becoming a coach, is to now give preference to those already-certified coaches who are seeking renewal. I find this totally unacceptable, in that this is discriminatory against those folks wanting to enter the coaching ranks for the first time, those who feel that the certification would give them added credibility. But that opportunity will essentially not be available to any "newcomers".

USAT's criteria for entry into the clinic:

"Priority for acceptance into the Level I clinic is given in the following order:
1. Full-time Triathlon Coach (self-employed or employer)
2. Full-time Swim, Bike and/or Run Coach
3. Advanced Degree in Sport Science (or related field)
4. Full-time Employment in Fitness/Wellness Industry
5. Part-time Triathlon Coach
6. Part-time Swim, Bike and/or Run Coach
7. Part-time Employment in Fitness/Wellness Industry
8. Certification with Relevance to Triathlon (ACSM, USAC, ASCA, USATF, NSCA or NASM)"
These clinics are limited to 40 seats, so what is the likelihood somebody new to coaching will ever be able to get into this clinic? Virtually nil.
I sent an email to USA Triathlon, asking about this and voicing my concerns. In fact, I sent two emails... does anybody see any answers to my questions? The thread is below (I am not including the name of the person responding, because it is not my intent to attack anybody personally, nor will I allow anybody else to do so):
First email from me:
I am extremely disappointed in USA Triathlon's decisions regarding the application process being implemented. Your focus on existing coaches excludes anybody wanting to enter the coaching arena. Your process is biased, discriminatory and extremely preferential. What was supposed to be the everyman's sport is now becoming elitist in its coaching ranks, apparently.

If the problem is that you have such a large demand for re-certification, perhaps you should consider separate renewal clinics rather than penalizing those wanting to become coaches.

It is unfortunate that between WTC's exorbitant fees and now your limited focus on certification opportunities, many will hesitate or completely refrain from enjoying the world of triathlon, either as participant or coach. 

You have made a terrible choice.

The first response:

It is just something we are trying. It is not necessarily something we are going to keep going forward, but we have to try it to see how it works. The clinics do not exclude people with little experience, but we are trying to make sure people who attend the clinics are interested in coaching and not just helping themselves. 
My second email:

Respectfully, I disagree...
What is the reason behind it? What is it you are hoping to accomplish?

How can you say "The clinics do not exclude people with little experience" when in fact that is exactly what you are doing with your selection criteria?

"we are trying to make sure people who attend the clinics are interested in coaching and not just helping themselves. " Don't you believe people who are willing to pay the rather sizable registration fee are interested in furthering the sport? How are the interests of already-certified coaches any different? Aren't THEY helping themselves as well?

Just for the record, I am not interested in coaching. As the chairman of a non-profit supporting athletes and working to get more children active, I have a number of experienced triathlete friends wanting to move into coaching. Your policies are designed to prevent that growth, either because of preferential treatment or your inability to deliver your product - the opportunity and support for those people wanting to raise their involvement in the sport.
The second response:
We are trying to get away from it being a race to see who types the fastest and is based more on the background of the person. It is a coaching certification, so the focus is on people who want to coach. We developed our online program for people who are looking for information and not necessarily to coach.
___________________________________________________________________________
There really are not any answers to my questions; no honest, legitimate justification; no alternatives offered. It seems that just as WTC raises their already-costly fees, which will certainly exclude many everyday athletes, USAT will do the same in their coaching ranks.
I don't know how to better word my questions so that I actually get a response.

It isn't as if these legitimate new-want-to-be coaches are asking to be considered as part of the Elite Mentorship program... they just want, and I believe deserve, an equal opportunity to get their foot in the door.

I don't know if there is an alternative to USAT certification, as REV3 is a viable and growing alternative to costly WTC.

I am certainly open to any feedback. As I said in my opening statements, this is not intended to be a vote against the certified coaches we already have, so don't take it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment