Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Things That Make You Stop and Think

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. - Martin Luther King Jr.

It has been a bit rough coming back from the 3M Half-Marathon run. The left knee felt a bit stretched out afterward, so it was difficult to run for a few days. And working on putting in a wood floor for somebody tends to have an effect on the knees and the shoulders - climbing around in closets and under built-in shelves doesn't help matters, either. But I have managed a couple bike rides and some swims, so I will be building back to the Half Iron in April.
Got some bad news last week, and better news yesterday. My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last week... and that was pretty much all we knew until I talked to her yesterday. She has a single small lump which will be removed, and then chemo and radiation on her schedule as well, both short-term. I did tell her I was better looking bald than she will be, and that this might be the perfect opportunity to see if she wants to be a redhead or a blond. At any rate, it appears after this year of fighting heart disease, I should consider the Breast Cancer races...Susan G. Komen, here I come!
I think with the work floor-wise and this ordeal with my sister, I have managed to get my shoulder muscles all balled up with the stress and the contortions in the closets. I need to work those out soon so they do not impact the training...maybe I should buy a hot tub?
I also am looking at doing the Rev3 Triathlon in Cedar Point in September rather than the Redman in Oklahoma City...no decisions yet, but lots of thinking needs to occur.
Well, hopefully better news in the next post. I was supposed to get the t-shirt mock-up yesterday but didn't, so hopefully I will see it today.
With all the wind we have had, and a fellow TNT rider getting blown into a parked car, it is even more important to remember to keep focused in your training! Heal well, Dickie!

No comments:

Post a Comment