Wednesday, July 13, 2011

"It's pretty tough to fail when you're standing still."


Don't wait until everything is just right. It will never be perfect. There will always be challenges, obstacles and less than perfect conditions. So what. Get started now. With each step you take, you will grow stronger and stronger, more and more skilled, more and more self-confident and more and more successful. -- Mark Victor Hansen

Sometimes I wonder - "how in the world did I talk myself into this?" This usually surfaces about 3 miles into a run, and that's because usually the run follows a bike ride, which I am ALWAYS up for. So it takes me about 30 minutes to get to the point where I hear it floating around up in the cerebrum. 
Training continues, and the runs are getting done according to plan, albeit probably slower than most others. I freely admit I am not a runner - I would rather ride that 112-mile bike course twice instead of running the marathon, but it is what it is. Truth be told -- and I won't admit this to anybody, ESPECIALLY my running coach -- I am actually starting to appreciate the running! (and if YOU tell her, I will have to kill you!). This I have found is really the mindless portion of the triathlon for me, partly because I am so slow, and partly because having experienced the fall off the bike already, I subconsciously recognize that if I fall NOW, I am at least already going to have a better fall than the last one.
This weekend brings the 2nd of my planned century rides, the Katy Flatland... and it is just that. But what many people fail to mention is that it is also one of the hottest and most humid rides. And each of the last two years, it has rained on me at the finish. This year, I might actually look forward to rain, since I have a 30 minute run to do afterward - so it probably won't rain...
I am excited about some other, non-triathlon-related things, too. Patsy finished up her chemo/radiation treatments last Friday, so this week is a great fresh start for her. That also means she and I will let our hair grow out, which should be interesting to see how it turns out. Patsy says hers will come in kinky and gray...we'll see.
Tomorrow also marks the 3-year anniversary of my triple bypass surgery... hmmm, 3s in my life - 3 years, TRIPLE bypass, 3-sport events... 
Maybe my book should be titled "The Life and Times of The Plodding Elephant"... or not.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment