Monday, November 22, 2010

I don't have to win - I just have to finish!


I can honestly say that I was never affected by the question of the success of an undertaking. If I felt it was the right thing to do, I was for it regardless of the possible outcome.  -- Golda Meir

Did I mention I am not a big fan of running? Well, I am not – but I also know I have a lot of work to do in that component of the triathlon before next November. Ever since we got back from Florida, I have been trying to get in some run time. I have managed some 30-60 minutes sessions at the gym on the treadmill.

It was a busy training weekend. But what a great way to celebrate another year of being alive!

Started off appropriately by carb-loading Friday evening. Jeff and Mary took me out for birthday dinner at Macaroni Grill. What a surprise I got while I sat there waiting for Jeff and Mary. I looked up to see Briana (Ms. Ironman Florida 2010) and her family walk in. Jeff had contacted her about coming out for the dinner. It was great to visit with all these friends…Madison and Dalton are great kids, and I could see them as inspirational examples of children not becoming “couch potatoes”. Overall, a great way to start off the birthday weekend.
Saturday morning, I picked Jeff up at the hotel and we were off for the Half Calf ride. A charity ride to support the Vista Ridge FFA, this allowed 25, 50 or 75 mile ride options, from the high school up to Andice and over to Florence. We originally talked about doing the 75, but at the Andice store (the 50 mile turnaround) Jeff decided he would have plenty of saddle time on the tri bike doing the 50. I handed him the truck keys and said “see ya later – I am going to ride the 75.” So it worked out well for both of us; I needed a longer ride. So – 4:15 in the saddle and 76 miles later, I was finished.
Sunday, I slept in a little, then went out for breakfast. Did some work around the house and then went up to the gym. Got in a 6.03-mile run on the treadmill in 65 minutes.
I signed up for the Turkey Trot 5-mile run which is on Thanksgiving Day, and the Zilker Holiday Tree 5K on December 26th. So in a month’s time, I will have done a 5-miler and 2 5K runs, all working toward the 3M half-marathon the end of January.
I will get there – it just might take me a while to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment