Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oh, my gosh! What am I about to do?

You've got to follow your passion. You've got to figure out what it is you love--who you really are. And have the courage to do that. I believe that the only courage anybody ever needs is the courage to follow your own dreams. -- Oprah Winfrey

This past week was exciting, fulfilling, and scary all at the same time... 
I have watched all year the training my now-Ironman friend has gone through. Swimming, biking and running like a fanatic. But it all has paid off. I volunteered at the Ironman Florida finish line, so that I could register early for the IMFL 2011. I picked a specific time window to be there, so that I could be there when I thought Briana would finish. I cannot tell you how satisfying, how exhilarating it feels to catch somebody you know as they finish their first Ironman. The thrill of seeing them cross that last timing mat, after watching them have an awesome swim, followed by a grueling, windy ride, and then having an excellent run to top it all off… what a great day! Another enjoyable thing I was able to do was take Briana’s son and daughter out on the motorcycle on the bike course so they could see mom racing like a pro. Both kids were thrilled.
I was also able to see a number of new friends finish their race. Members of the Beginner Triathlete forum online now have faces and real names. Seriously, if you ever want to volunteer for an event such as this, the finish line is definitely the place to be. Very exciting, yet very humbling as well.
Having said that, we got up early Sunday morning, Briana to get in line for the expo store so she could get the “finisher” garb, and me to register for 2011. The store opened at 7, so she was finished before our line even started. I was excited to be able to register for the event next year, but at the same time, you get that “Oh geez, what have I gotten myself into?” kind of feeling. But having watched Briana all year, and meeting all these new friends and getting their insight, I feel like I know what it will take to get there. I will read all their race reports, and pay attention to their notes. I doubt seriously my time will be anything close to Briana’s, but for me just finishing on time will be enough.
So it is now official – Briana is now an Ironman, and I am now on the path to IMFL 2011. Let’s get this show on the road!


No comments:

Post a Comment