Monday, November 29, 2010

This running thing is getting to me!


It is more important to know where you are going than to get there quickly.
-- Mabel Newcomber
...but in a good way! I signed up for the Turkey Trot in Austin, which is a 5-mile run downtown on the morning of Thanksgiving day. Nothing like getting out and sweating with 17,000 of your closest friends and attempting to run 5 miles, which turned out to be only 4.57 because of a planning error. But the run was fun, even with a lot of lateral weaving in and out of groups of people. I managed a 50:50, which is just over 11 minutes per mile, so I will take that. Nothing to scream and holler about, but the runs are getting better slowly.
So like a crazed lunatic, I have signed up for a number of charity runs... this Friday I will run the Ronald McDonald House Lights of Love 5K, Sunday I will run the Reindeer Run 5K, on the 11th I have the Project Overflow 5K and on the day after Christmas, I have another 5K, the Zilker Holiday 5K. After December, the training gets more serious... I have the 3M half-marathon at the end of January, and will be back in the pool and on the bike. I am also registered to run the Capitol 10K in March.
Over this past weekend, I didn't get a lot of training in the books. I worked on a friend's house and managed to earn enough to pay for my registration for the LoneStar 70.3 in Galveston in April. It is always nice to not have to take race monies out of the regular budget. But it will be nice to get back on the treadmill tonight (geez, did I just say that??)

No comments:

Post a Comment