Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Did I mention I don't like running?

“Remembering you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose" -- Steve Jobs 

This past month's training totals came as a bit of  a surprise to me. I don't believe I have ever run this much in a month. Almost 100 miles! Wow! Not too shabby for the Plodding Elephant, huh?

July Monthly totals:
   
Swim:       15990.42 Yd - 6h 40m 54s
   
Bike:        415.02 Mi - 23h 17m 54s
   
Run:         98.75 Mi - 19h 12m 02s
   
Strength:  7h 30m 

This month should be a challenge - it is so freaking hot! I admit a lot of my miles these past couple of weeks have been on the treadmill. But now comes the time to start getting up at zero-dark-thirty on the weekend to get the run in before church, and to establish my outdoor running pace on longer runs. Last weekend was a 10-mile run and this week will be a 12-miler... yippee!
This past Saturday I rode on the tollway with another IMFL-training friend. His daughter was playing volleyball in Lockhart, so his plan was to ride to the game and then come back with the family in the car. So I rode with him from near home almost to the south end of the tollway. Our outbound ride was steady pedaling all the way, averaging about 15.7 for a little over 2 hours, and it seemed like we were always climbing. But as soon as we split up and I turned around to come home, I knew the ride had just become a whole lot better. With the descents of all the mini-hills we had been climbing and a pretty decent tail wind, the return trip was only about 1hr 25mins. Awesome! What a blast! And the tollway shoulder going north was quite a bit cleaner than the southbound side for some unknown reason. I stopped for a Gatorade and a water refill up north and then tooled on into the parking lot where I had met up with Mike. 
My new sleeveless wetsuit came in, so hopefully I will make it to Barton Springs soon... family stuff got in the way a couple times, but I want to get into the water pretty soon.
Looks like the Ironman folks might be getting involved in our "Racing Hearts" documentary...more on that later.
Rubber side down, folks!


No comments:

Post a Comment