Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Run, fat boy, run!


Heart in champions has to do with the depth of your motivation and how well your mind and body react to pressure. -- Bill Russell

I have to admit I was pretty happy to start the new year. I felt like with the holidays I kinda lost focus on the training. I didn't feel like my heart AND mind were into it together. But getting back on the bike for the Jennifer Wilks ride on the 1st, and then getting in a couple of runs, gets me going back in the right direction.
Last night's run was good. Coach Bri had 10 miles on the plan, so after making a couple stops on the way home from work, it was into the shorts and new logo-shirt and off to the gym. A couple minutes to walk and loosen up the creaky joints, and then into the run. I decided to follow the same plan as last week's 9-miler, so I ran to the full mile, then walked one minute, run, walk, repeat... I got to the 6-mile mark and really had to go to the restroom, so I was off the treadmill for about 4 minutes, and then back to finish the other 4 miles. Overall, basically 1:47 of run time later, I was done. But with about 2 miles left to go, a guy on my left a couple of treadmills over, nearly ate it while trying to watch the football game on the TV. Fortunately the guy between us pulled the safety cord, and the treadmill stopped. so a little bit of excitement there. But I was pretty stoked to get in a 10 mile run, even with the potty break!
A short run tonight and then I am starting a swim class Wednesday designed to get folks ready for a tri. I don't yet know what level this will be taught at, but I figure an hour a week for the next 5 weeks should get me a little bit of swim training I can build upon afterward... we'll see. 
Working on the nutrition still - I have been trying out the Performance gel bites while I run, popping in one every 20 minutes, and those seem to be working without upsetting my stomach. That testing will continue for the next couple of weeks. Today, I ordered my first batch of Infinit nutrition mix to use on the bike. And the Athlete's HoneyMilk continues to work well as the recovery drink of choice. I have gone through the first 12-pack and will start the second tonight after the run. I definitely think it is better cold, so I throw a bottle in a mini-ice chest and stick it in the truck when I leave for the gym. I figured after a 10 mile run I would be really sore, but there really isn't any soreness in the legs. I think the HoneyMilk folks have this nailed pretty well, at least for me.
The new logo-covered jerseys and shirts have generated some requests for t-shirts so I guess I will check into what that is going to cost... a new fundraising opportunity.
Onward goes the march.

No comments:

Post a Comment