Monday, December 27, 2010

Wow! What a Year!

It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. -- Seneca

In a moment of reflection of this past year, I am amazed at the things I have managed to get through... I say it that way for a reason. I do not consider myself a competitive person, to be compared with others. I know I am a slower, untrained swimmer, I do a decent job on the bike, and I am by no means a successful runner... and I am happy with that. I compete with myself. I am very happy to consider myself a "participant" rather than a "competitor". To have the opportunity in life to participate in a small 5K run, or a century ride, or a full-Iron distance triathlon, is satisfaction enough. Don't get me wrong - I will always try to do better next time that I did the last. 
My 2010 list:
     My first Cap 10K, a spur-of-the-moment decision and a surprisingly enjoyable run;
     My first triathlon, and my second, and my third, and finally a fourth -- two small ones sandwiched between two big ones, oddly enough:
          the LoneStar 70.3, which wasn't originally the plan
          the Rookie Tri (go figure, it wasn't the first one after all)
          the Lake Pflugerville Tri
          the Redman Half-Iron, another 70.3
     The gorgeous, scenic Triple Bypass Ride in Colorado - my longest bike ride ever, in time and distance... I am still very grateful 3 great friends jumped into this with me without hesitation over two years ago -- thanks, guys!
     Running more miles in a single month than I think I ever ran in a year (yeah, I still cannot believe somebody managed to get a picture of me actually smiling when I was running!);
     5 5K runs from Thanksgiving to Christmas;
     Convincing Dr. V to let me sign up for a full-distance Ironman triathlon (really? are you NUTS? - not an unheard question, and even a personal thought on more than one occasion, which will likely be repeated over the next 11 months).

And then there are the other things -- 
     being able to watch Briana complete her first Ironman (not likely her last, either...just saying);
     meeting a bunch of wonderful new friends in the triathlon world. These people are so giving of  themselves, so many lessons to learn from what they have experienced.
     talking friends into riding long bike rides, or getting them into triathlon -- and still being considered their friend!

So it has been very eventful these past 12 months, without even talking about personal things. I feel truly blessed with all the support I have received from family and friends this year. Bear with me, folks -- 2011 is going to be just as busy, and I hope just as fulfilling!

Happy New Year, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment